- Care and compassion
Expectations and goals
- Students to identify values they admire in others
- Class to collectively identify Australia’s shared values
- Students to research one Australian person who has demonstrated selflessness
- Conduct a brainstorm with the students on ‘The values we admire in others’.
- Reiterate the different sets of values for the students:
- Nine Values of Australian Schooling (Resource 13 below)
- Western Australian Values of Schooling
- Core values in the Western Australian Curriculum Framework values
- Ask students to analyse the biographies of three people who have devoted their life to realising their values. Tell them to choose one Australian, one young Australian and one global citizen.
- Organise the students into small groups. Ask them to select an Australian and to research and discuss the values they admire in that person and why.
- Explain to the students that they are going to write a Letter to the Editor of a newspaper about something they feel passionate about. Ask the students to write the letter about a value they feel strongly about that has been compromised, and its effects on society.
- Ask students to develop an action plan about what they can do and what others can do about the compromised value and its effects on society.
Lesson focus questions
- What values do we admire in others?
- What are Australia’s shared values
- Select one Australian and research and discuss any of the values they admire in that person and why?
- What can I do, what can others do?
- How can citizens individually and collectively influence change and decision making?
- Research and investigate one Australian they admire in the realisation of their values
- Write a Letter to the Editor outlining a society value that has been compromised, and its effects on society
- Formulate an action plan that demonstrates commitment
Download/VIEW resources and tools
Printable lesson plan [Download Year 7, Lesson 7 plan]
Resource 13: Nine Values of Australian Schooling Western Australian Values of Schooling [Download Resource 13]