- Care and compassion
expectations and goals
- Students to understand the key factors which led to the establishment of police in Western Australia
- Students to explore the connection between the WA Police force and Crime Stoppers
- Review with the class when the international police forces were formed. Ask students to estimate when the Australian Police force was formed and why.
- Ask students to read the History of WA Police information sheet (Resource 6 below) and then unscramble the dates and place in a chronological timeline or flow diagram to show significant dates in WA Police history. Students can also use the following websites to conduct additional research:
- Pose the question, “Are the Police linked to the Crime Stoppers?” to the class and discuss. Ask students to look at the Crime Stoppers website and identify what characteristics demonstrate the connection to the Police force. Ask students to think about when people should call the Police and not Crime Stoppers. Provide students with access to Who are you going to call? (Resource 7 below) and have them complete.
- Discuss with the class the following statement in the context of Crime Stoppers, “The police are the public and the public are the police”. Ask students to consider the history of the WA Police force and write a response to this statement taking into account the role of Crime Stoppers in society. Provide them with access to The police are the public and the public are the police (Resource 8 below) to present the response.Conduct a gallery walk, inviting students to view and read all of the displayed work.
lesson focus questions
- When did the police force begin in Australia?
- Was this the same year as Western Australia?
- What type of work did the pioneer police officers do?
- How did they carry out their duties in the remote areas of the Colony/State?
- What events have formed the history of the WA Police force?
- What services does the WA Police force separated into?
- How are the WA Police force connected to Crime Stoppers?
- When would you call the Police and when would you call Crime Stoppers?
- Complete the History of WA Police information sheet (Resource 6 below)
download resources and tools
Printable lesson plan [Download Year 9, Lesson 3 plan]
Resource 6: History of WA Police information sheet [Download Resource 6]
Resource 7: Who are you going to call? [Download Resource 7]
Resource 8: The police are the public and the public are the police [Download Resource 8]