An understanding of the Civics and Citizenship concepts is developed through a focus on Australia’s democracy and legal system. The teaching ideas in this resource assist students to gain knowledge and understanding regarding the values on which Australia’s legal system and citizen participation are based. Links to curriculum code: ACHCK050
An understanding of the Civics and Citizenship concepts is developed through a focus on Australia’s laws, the responsibilities and freedoms of citizens and participation in the democratic process. The teaching ideas in this resource assist students to gain knowledge and understanding regarding the purpose of laws and how direct action can support this. Links to curriculum code: ACHCK061
An understanding of the Civics and Citizenship concepts is developed through a focus on how Australia’s legal system works to support a democratic and just society. The teaching ideas in this resource assist students to gain a knowledge and understanding of how the values on which our laws are based and the responsibilities of a citizen supports the application of justice. Links to curriculum code: ACHCK078
An understanding of the Civics and Citizenship concepts is developed through a focus on Australia’s global roles and responsibilities and the values and practices that enable a resilient democracy to be sustained. The teaching ideas in this resource assist students to gain a knowledge and understanding of how the values on which our laws are based and the responsibilities of a citizen protect our democratic system. Links to curriculum codes: ACHCK090 / ACHCK094
Community safety and well-being is enhanced by developing and following agreed expectations of individual behaviour
- That behaviour is an expression of the values held by an individual
- That schooling aims to develop a student’s disposition towards the acquisition of particular values
- That Australia has a set of values and principles which both Australians and visitors are expected to abide by
- The notion of justice; behaviour that is fair, equal and balanced for everyone.
- That they have a responsibility to act in protecting our system of democracy and justice
Further Student Enquiry
- Students investigate the values underlying school rules/laws in other countries or at other periods in history.
- Students investigate the process through which their school rules were developed. How were the views of individual stakeholders i.e. school staff, students and parents taken into account
- Students design and promote a process for the ongoing review of the school rules.
- Students investigate Australian case studies of citizens arrests
- Students investigate an Australian case study of community information leading to a criminal conviction or the prevention of an unlawful incident.
Many of the themes explored in this resource are further developed within the other Crime Stopper resources provided on this website
- Students individually develop a classroom rule that they can relate back to the values of schooling. Teachers might like to pool these ideas together to develop an agreed set of behaviours for the class.
- Use the Taking Action scenario in the lesson idea Upholding Society Values; Our Collective Responsibility to assess students understanding of a citizen’s responsibility in helping to ensure a just and fair society
- Students design, for the school/classroom, a persuasive poster, role play, ICT presentation, story board, pamphlet or speech that promotes a particular Australian value and its role in ensuring we live in a fair society.
- Students pose and investigate a question around school values and/or rules.
- Students explain how the role of the citizen supports the notion of justice
- Students investigate a particular law, either in Australia or abroad, focusing on the societal values it is designed to protect
- With the support of case studies, students explain how society is better protected when individuals take action.
- Students investigate how the principles on which Australian democracy is based assist in reducing particular threats to our society.