- 22 years of age at the time of her death.
- Light skinned.
- Medium build.
- Long brown hair.
Last seen wearing:
- A light coloured blouse.
- Dark blue jeans.
- A belt with a large metal buckle.
- Carrying a brown shoulder bag (pictured).
- Gold Seiko automatic calendar watch.
- Various jewellery.
QUICK CASE FACTS:
- Moved to Perth from New South Wales approximately 12 months before her death.
- Was house-sitting a property on Brookton Highway, Karragullen.
- Went to a dance at the North Cottesloe Surf Life Saving Club on the evening of Friday 28 December 1979.
- Stayed at a friend’s place over night, getting dropped off in Mount Lawley around 11am on 29 December 1979.
- Forest Department workers located her body in Karragullen early the next morning, Sunday 30 December 1979.
Kerryn Mary Tate (Miss Tate) was born in Victoria in April 1957 and at the age of one year, the family moved to New South Wales where she was well educated.
In 1978 Miss Tate left New South Wales and travelled to Western Australia.
She was described as being a girl who had a few close friends and many acquaintances, but also enjoyed her own company.
At the time of her death she was living in Barlee Street, Mt Lawley but was house-sitting a property on Brookton Highway, Karragullen.
Miss Tate often hitchhiked to wherever she went. She was known to carry a black helmet with her in case she was offered a ride on a motorcycle.
On Christmas Day, Tuesday 25 December 1979, Miss Tate shared a Christmas drink with the family that owned the house she was housesitting. The family noticed she was wearing jewellery such as a watch, earring, bangle, pendant and rings.
On the night of Friday 28 December 1979, Miss Tate attended a dance at the North Cottesloe Surf Life Saving Club (club) with a friend.
Around midnight she left the club and spent the night with friends at a residence in Swanbourne before getting a lift back to the Barlee Street address at around 11.00am on Saturday 29 December 1979.
The following morning, Sunday 30 December 1979, Forestry Department workers located a body in the Canning Dam catchment area approximately 800 metres south of Brookton Highway, Karragullen and around 40 kilometres from Mount Lawley. The body was later identified as being Miss Tate’s.
Miss Tate’s movements from when she was dropped off in Barlee Street, Mt Lawley to the time of her body being located in Karragullen are unknown.
The person or persons responsible for Miss Tate’s murder have not yet been identified.
If you have any information about the murder of Kerryn Mary Tate, or her movements between 11.00am on Saturday 29 December 1979 and the morning of Sunday 30 December 1979, please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make an online report below. Please remember that you can remain anonymous if you wish and rewards are offered.