- 22 years of age.
- Light skinned.
- 165cm (5 feet 5 inches) tall.
- Auburn hair.
- Brown eyes.
- Medium build.
QUICK CASE FACTS:
- From the Northern Territory.
- Hitch hiked from Darwin to Port Hedland. Worked for two weeks in Port Hedland then flew to Perth.
- Was staying at the Downtowner Lodge on Hill Street Perth.
- Last heard from on Tuesday 3 June 1980 (her 22nd birthday).
- A postcard was received by her Mother dated 5pm 26 June 1980 sent from Balga WA.
- Miss Walter’s body was located on Wednesday 21 May 1986.
- Miss Walter was identified through DNA on 28 February 1995.
Pauline Juliet Walter, a resident of Darwin, Northern Territory, left home in May 1980 to travel to Perth, Western Australia.
Miss Walter hitchhiked from her home to Port Hedland, WA where she worked for two to three weeks. She then travelled from Port Hedland to Perth, by air, arriving on Sunday 1 June 1980. Miss Walter booked into accommodation at ‘Downtowner Lodge’ situated on Hill Street, Perth.
On Tuesday 3 June 1980, her 22nd birthday, Miss Walter contacted her mother by phone and appeared to be in a happy state of mind. She also sent a postcard to her mother some three weeks later, postmarked 5:00pm 26 June 1980 from Balga, WA.
On 24 March 1981, Miss Walter was reported missing to Northern Territory Police by her Mother.
Over five years later, on Wednesday 21 May 1986, human skeletal remains were located by Armadale Shire Council employees who were cleaning a drain area on the southern side of the road verge of Rowley Road, Forrestdale, WA. This road runs east to west from Nicholson Road and at the time, there were several small subdivisions and farmlets situated on both sides of the road.
Located with the bones were a silver bracelet, copper bracelet, silver ring, a leather necklace with two shells attached and a red/maroon coloured scarf.
On 28 February 1995, the skeletal remains were confirmed as being that of Miss Walter.
The person or persons responsible for Miss Walter’s murder have not yet been identified.
If you have any information about the death of Pauline Juliet Walter or her movements from Tuesday 3 June 1980, please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make an online report below. Please remember that you can remain anonymous if you wish and rewards are offered.