- 22 years of age.
- Light skinned.
- 175 cm (5 feet 9 inches) tall.
- Slim build.
- Dark brown hair.
- Blue eyes.
- Wearing White and blue canvas sports shoes, dark blue/black coloured jeans, blue, grey and green coloured jumper.
- Earring in his left ear.
QUICK CASE FACTS:
- Mr McKinnon was an ex Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) serviceman.
- In 1988, he suffered an aneurysm and a stroke, which left his right arm paralysed, and an unsteady gait when he walked.
- Discharged from the RAAF in 1989.
- Travelled around Australia, from Sydney to Darwin and onto Perth.
- Made friends, and stayed with a couple in Padbury.
- At 1:30pm on Wednesday 14 November 1990, he was seen seated near the lifts on the 14th level of the No 9 Pier St Car Park.
- Shortly afterwards his body was located where he was last sighted, having been stabbed multiple times.
Paul Andrew McKinnon was born in January 1968 and was originally from Sydney, New South Wales. He joined the RAAF and had been employed as an Instrument Fitter at the RAAF Base Amberley in Queensland.
In 1988, Mr McKinnon suffered an aneurysm and had surgery. Whilst undergoing surgery he suffered a stroke which resulted in his right arm being paralysed and an unsteady gait when he walked. He also had a pronounced depression on his forehead from the surgery. He was discharged from the RAAF, medically unfit, on 31 May 1989.
After leaving the RAAF, Mr McKinnon returned to Sydney for a short time before undertaking an extended holiday around Australia, travelling to Darwin and onto Western Australia. He travelled through north western, Western Australia before arriving in Perth 22 October 1990. He made many friends at various backpacker hostels.
In October 1990, whilst in Port Hedland, Mr McKinnon made friends with a male and female who lived in Padbury. He was offered accommodation by the couple while he stayed in Perth to which he agreed. He stayed with them for a period, commencing in late October 1990.
Padbury is a suburb around 23km north of the Perth Central Business District (CBD).
On Tuesday 13 November 1990, Mr McKinnon told a friend he was going into the Perth CBD the following day to meet up with two men he had met earlier that day. On the morning of Wednesday 14 November 1990, he told another friend he was meeting one of those men at 12pm in the city mall.
At 1.30pm on Wednesday 14 November 1990, Mr McKinnon was seen seated near the lifts on the 14th level of the No 9 Pier St Car Park. He was seen sitting near another person who has never been identified.
Approximately 12 minutes later, at 1.42pm, Mr McKinnon’s body was located by a security officer for the car park. He was in the same location as to where he was last seen, having suffered multiple stab wounds.
The person or persons responsible for Mr McKinnon’s murder have not been identified.
If you have any information about the murder of Paul Andrew McKinnon, or his movements around Perth on Wednesday 14 November 1990, please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make an online report below. Please remember that you can remain anonymous if you wish and rewards are offered.